Picking and packing
In a number of industries picking and packing machinery is used to load product into packaging, cartons and onto pallets. In many industries product is of a uniform shape and size with cartons and packing processes able to be designed accordingly.
The Australian red meat industry however, works with highly variable product and offers a wide variety of product options adding complexity to the picking and packing process.
Packaging options for meat product include:
- modified atmosphere packaging
- vacuum packing
- shrink wrapping
Optimisation and automation of picking and packing procedures has the potential to provide the industry with a number of benefits including:
- labour savings
- real-time monitoring of daily targets allowing delays to be addressed early
- enhanced product traceability
- increased ability to deliver according to customer packaging configurations and requriements
Picking and packing technologies under investigation for the Australian red meat industry include:
- high speed robotics
- programmable logic controllers
- software integration with enterprise databases